Perhaps the perfect time to bring this recipe out of the closet, while everybody is talking about Tom Brady’s avocado ice cream. This is may absolute favorite recipe: very easy to make and the final product is irresistible: is it dessert or breakfast (summer) or an evening snack ? It can masquerade as any, without an iota of guilt.
I call this a kulfi since I am using reduced milk in the recipe. Though, I do put it through the ice cream machine for some minimal airing, which is not a kulfi technique. Without the little airing, the texture is more amenable to a granita, again perfectly acceptable.
Ice cream maker; food processor
- pulp of 2 Hass avocados
- juice of 2 limes
- 10 oz fat-free condensed milk
- a pinch salt
- garnish: 1 tbsp charoli nuts (or pistachios, shelled and coarsley crushed)
Put all the ingredients except the garnish in a food processor. Pulse for 30 secs or so till the mix is smooth.
Follow the manufacturer’s instructions of your ice cream maker. It takes 12-15 minutes to be set. In the last 2 minutes add the garnish nuts. Pour into freezing container and leave in the freezer overnight.
Leave it at room temperature for at least 10 mins before digging in.
Notes, hints, tips:
- You can replace condensed milk with evaporated milk and add sugar to your taste. Dissolve the sugar in warm milk and cool before adding to the mix. The use of canned condensed or evaporated milk makes this effortless.
- The lime juice in the recipe keeps the avocado from turning black and also gives a much-needed lift to the kulfi mix.
- The nuts give a nice texture contrast.
- Plan ahead for this one; since most ice cream makers require the bowl to be left in the freezer for 6-8 hrs.