A dip that lets you ditch the chips! Single servings can be handed out to each in beer mugs, so no worries about careless superbowlers double and triple dipping.
I don’t use cheese in the layers, instead I use two layers of yogurt- one for the usual sour cream and the other for cheese. Believe me, you will not miss the usual suspects. Enjoy!
Tall transparent beer mug to layer the dips.
- 1/3 cup refried pinto beans
- 2/3 cup drained yogurt
- 1/3 cup (garbanzo) hummus
- 1/3 cup guacamole
- 1/4 cup salsa (1/2 cherry tomatoes, quartered or halved + 2 scallions chopped fine + 1 jalapeno, deseeded and diced + 2 tbsp minced cilantro + 1 tbsp lemon juice + dash of salt)
Carefully make the following layers of 1/3 cup each: beans, yogurt, hummus, yogurt, guacamole. Top with salsa.
Serve with chips or vegetable crudités.
Notes, hints, tips:
- To make the layers; carefully spoon the dip in the center of the glass and then push it out with the spoon. This will avoid trailing strands of dip in the sides.
- You can always use smaller portions with disposable transparent glass. A transparent container lets one see all that awaits the excited palate.
- Homemade refried pinto beans: soak beans overnight and cook the beans until soft and drain. Saute diced onions in a little oil; add a little of cumin powder + cayenne pepper + all-spice powder + cinnamon. Add 1 cup of cooked beans and 1 cup water. Cover and cook for 15 mins. Then cool and mash with a potato masher.
- Homemade hummus: You can use canned garbanzo beans or cook them from scratch (soak beans overnight and then cook till tender). Run through a processor with seasonings of your choice: garlic, sesame paste, cayenne etc.
- Homemade guacamole: For this dip you can uses just avocado and a little salt for seasoning and lime juice to avoid premature oxidation.
- You can substitute one of the layers of yogurt with cheese if you want- I would use goat cheese to surprise your palate.
One thought on “Superbowl SuperDip”
Keep them coming.. 👌