Be your own chocolatier –for 5 minutes– and celebrate the confluence of Chinese New Year and Valentine’s Day this year. Dried longan, which already tastes like candy, gets a coat of your favorite dark chocolate. Using forgiving techniques that even a child can master, concoct this delicious truffle. You could pretty up the presentation, but who can wait. Enjoy!
A pair of chopsticks; wire-rack for drying.
- 100gm dark chocolate bar (or your favorite chocolate bar)
- 1 cup dried Longan berries
Break the bar into pieces and microwave on low power for 2-3 mins (you may have to adjust based on your appliance). Stir vigorously with a pair of chopsticks till smooth and fold in the berries. While still warm, place each truffle on parchment on a wire rack. You can smooth out the balls using your hand, as it begins to cool. Let dry on wire rack till set.
NOTES, HINTS, TIPS:
- Dried Longan can be bought in a Chinese grocery store or online. Indeed, you can use any other berry of your liking.
- You could quickly fold in a tbsp of milk , if the chocolate is not too malleable.
- I simply use a Pyrex cup which is microwave proof and easy to handle.
- Here are some truffle-in-the-rough, without smoothing and using the littlest of coating (35 gm chocolate bar –1/3 of the whole bar– and approx 1 cup dried longan).